- Broker Directory
- My Tools
- News & Advice
- Market Trends
- Other GN Sites
It is surprising how many odd jobs and issues come to the fore with the change of season. Now that summer has started, make it a point to go through the below concerns:
• Inspect your window or central air-conditioner, and remove and clean the filters. Most building and villa maintenance teams undertake to do this every year. Tuning up the air-conditioning involves checking the refrigerant levels which keep the air-conditioner running cool, and the internal fans and wirings working. No one wants to spend even a few hours in a hot, muggy apartment without air-conditioning. A clean filter also ensures that your electricity bill is kept low.
• If you have ceiling, table or standalone fans in your house, clean them with a duster and a damp rag to remove dust and debris.
• If you are fortunate enough to have a home garden, add a layer of mulch to your pots and garden. This will help keep weeds to a minimum and the ground to retain much-needed moisture.
• Give your plumbing system a once-over. The change from the cold winter months to the furnace-like heat of summer wreaks havoc on it.
• Ensure the maintenance team does a thorough cleaning and maintenance of the pool before the temperature ratchets up. This is vital, given that most of us spend hours on end in the pool during the summer months. Pay attention to the kinds of chemicals used to clean your pool.
• If you are living in a townhouse or a villa, make sure that your house roof is checked annually. Sure, we do not have monsoons like in the Indian sub-continent, but this is a necessary maintenance step that needs to be taken.
• Check the sealants of windows, and that both the inside and the outside are secure, and seal any damaged areas. This does not only have cosmetic benefits, it also ensures that your house is cooled properly and stays that way during the whole summer.
• Ensure the pool is properly maintained and check the chemicals being used
• Inspect your air-conditioning and plumbing systems for any faults and damages
• The roofs of townhouses and villas also need regular check and maintenance
Source: Binu Sivan, Special to Properties
The writer is a freelancer