- Broker Directory
- My Tools
- News & Advice
- Market Trends
- Other GN Sites
Most often, we enter a new property and find its flooring either too simple or too elaborate. Flooring is an important part of the overall interior design of any property. Choosing the right flooring solutions nowadays is no longer an issue as the designs and types available in the market are limitless, although one needs to consider the material and ease of maintenance when picking one.
• Tiles – These are the most popular flooring option because they last long and are easy to clean. They come in a variety of materials like clay (ceramic), metal, stone and terrazzo. The most common tiles are ceramic (porcelain like graniti and non-porcelain) and natural stone (marble, granite, limestone including travertine and slate). Stone tiles come in honed, polished and natural finishes. Those with a natural finish like marble are porous in nature and absorb liquids easily; the glossy ones make any space look bigger. Crema marfil, botticino, emperador, carrara, onyx, statuario and Omani beige are some of the commonly used Italian style marbles in villas.
• Concrete – Warehouses, art galleries and malls often use concrete flooring, but it is also gaining in popularity in homes for its extreme durability. Whether tinted, polished or stamped, it gives any property a unique character. It is easy to clean, too.
• Laminate – It comes in different colors and styles like wood, stone and ceramic. Easy to install on top of an existing floor, it can quickly change the look of a room. Laminate flooring is very durable as it is scratch and stain-resistant.
• Carpet – Available in a range of patterns and colors, it is widely used in living rooms and bedrooms for a cozy feel. Customized carpets look great when combined with marble or wood.
• Vinyl – It is a quick-fix solution to any flooring problems. Considered very affordable with less maintenance required, it comes in many styles and colors. However, it is prone to stains, scratches, and wear and tear.
There are many other flooring options to choose from like bamboo, rubber, linoleum, leather and cork. Just ensure that all elements such as color, texture, size, shape and pattern complement each other. Too much of anything can ruin a property's interiors.
• Easiest way to select flooring is to do it room by room, e.g. wood for bedroom
• When picking a flooring solution, ensure all elements complement each other
• If there are toddlers, opt for a resistant floor finish to prevent slips, accidents
Get more tips on making the most of your home flooring
Source: Sejal Nagjee, Special to Properties
The writer is CEO & Creative Director, Milestone Landscaping