- Broker Directory
- My Tools
- News & Advice
- Market Trends
- Other GN Sites
A bathroom nowadays is no longer a room with a bathtub, shower and bidet. It is more than that. You can change the traditional look of your bathroom with elegant and creative ideas. One of these is updating the flooring.
There are many floor tile options to choose from to give your private space a trendy look. Here is a rundown of some of them:
• Porcelain – Even though it is expensive, experts suggest using this tile for bathroom floors because of its durability. Aside from this, it is also easy to install and clean.
• Ceramic – Not that hard like porcelain, it can be cut easily into different shapes or sizes. It is also less expensive, waterproof and available in various colours and textures
• Stone – Stones like granite, limestone, marble, slate and travertine make any bathroom look luxurious. They can be polished to cover minor scratches. Their main drawback, however, is maintenance because they have low resistance to chemicals.
• Vinyl – Budget lovers, vinyl tiles are for you. This flooring option can mimic stone, ceramic or wood in look, and is available in a wide range of colours, designs and patterns. Also available in many sizes, it can be customised according to the space requirements and theme of the bathroom.
• Laminate – You may love hardwood floors in your bathroom, but can be scared of its cost. Choose the type that looks like wood. They are less expensive, easy to clean and are scratch resistant. The major drawback is that it may look like wood, but it cannot be refinished and the texture is different from natural wood.
• Heated – You can find two types: electric radiant heating system and hydronic system. This may need an initial investment as the installation procedures cost high. But while also considering the maintenance cost and home resale value, it is worth it.
When selecting the right tiles for your bathroom, also take into consideration the comfort of your family, especially the elderly. It is likewise advisable to seek the help of a professional when redesigning your bathroom.
• Check the durability, life, ease of maintenance and cost when shopping for tiles
• Consider comfort, especially of the elderly, when redesigning your bathroom
• Heated tiles are expensive but they greatly increase a property’s resale value
Source: Asha Das, Special to Properties
The writer is a freelancer